Re: Call for Yum Frontend

D James wrote:

seth vidal wrote:

Up2date's interface makes it difficult to perform certain tasks. For
updating packages it works a treat, but for selecting new things to be
packaged and/or removing item it can become a bit cumbersome.
Something that was discussed on fedora-config-list was if
system-config-packages interface could be coupled to one of the various
backends to help with the interface. A redesign of the up2date ui to be
geared more toward installation/removal/etc of packages instead of just
updating would also be adequate.

I definately think system-config-packages needs to be upgraded and tied into yum and apt. This will make it

a true "Pacakge Managment" tool

"system-config-packages" a great name for few features.

absolutely correct, we are missing since a very long time a true gui *package management tool* which gives us all the possibilities from rpm, (rpmbuild), up2date, yum, apt, ...

- add/remove new rhn-sources: yum, apt, dir, ...
- install/update/freshen/remove single/multiple packages via ftp, http, dir, ...
- list/search installed/not-installed packages
- ...

https://listman.redhat.com/archives/shrike-list/2003-May/msg00241.html <snip> /Subject/: Re: I'm new, Is there a gnorpm or kpackage available to RH9? [...] eg. # rpm -Uvh ftp://updates.redhat.com/9/en/os/i386/your_packages*

it would be great if
  redhat-config-packages
would handle this too

</snip>

https://listman.redhat.com/archives/shrike-list/2003-May/msg00367.html <snip>

[... I would really like a gui package once again.
And I agree with you on wishing redhat-config-packages had these options
that were once very used by myself in Kpackage ...]

I'm working on a number of improvements to redhat-config-packages at the
moment, so I hope to address some of these issues in the near future. Sorry that I don't have anything better for you at the moment. :)

Cheers, Brent </snip>

i could not find these improvements. afair in system-config-packages fc2t1 were some new features, but it seems the these were removed :-(

-- shrek-m