Re: Call for Yum Frontend

On Sunday 09 May 2004 01:09, Mike Chambers wrote:
> I think the installing of new packages via UI is def missing from
> up2date as mentioned by others.

Actually up2date does have a "sort of" add new packages capability although it
does not work well since you need to have an outstanding update available to
get it to work.  The "--show-package-dialog" command line option whill show
all available packages after the one which displays available updates.

I agree that something needs to be done to provide a single, overall gui tool
to update, install, and/or remove packages.  There was some discussion about
this on the fedora-config-list but nothing has come of it.  There was mention
of a new design underway which more or less combined up2date and
system-config-packages but the mentioned design has never been published ...
I suspect that getting FC2 working and out the door took priority.  There was
some design stuff published last Novermber:
http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/config-tools/specs/redhat-config-packages
--
Gene