YAST and YUM Front-end

Matias Feliciano feliciano.matias at free.fr
Mon May 10 00:19:17 UTC 2004

Le lun 10/05/2004 à 00:40, Rory Gleeson a écrit :
> I have three words for Red Hat:
>
> "Embrace and Extend"
>
> But seriously, the company that gets the Package Manager right will get
> the customers.  Mandrake has tried but hasn't quite made it, although
> they've done a decent job. Their manager is just split in to too many
> different drakes now.  They need to go back, simplify and bring them all
> together, as posters here are suggesting needs to be done with a Yum
> front-end that accomplishes all tasks.
>
> YAST works but Fedora appears to have many other strengths in hardware
> and network recognition, easy kernel upgrades (MDK has missed the boat
> on that one) and that sweet little up2date panel icon.  So, I prefer
> Fedora.  It's also more open than SuSE, which is important.
>
> While it may take a bit of humility for Red Hat to consider the idea of
> adopting YAST, there's nothing wrong with incorporating YAST in to Red
> Hat products, or **at least experimenting with the idea by incorporating
> it in to Fedora Core 3**.  Now that YAST is GPL,

Not yet.
from "rpm2cpio ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/9.1/suse/src/yast2-packagemanager-2.9.37-0.src.rpm "

COPYING :
        2. Processing
           All programmes derived from YaST 2 and all works derived from it in full
           or parts thereof are to be filled on the opening screen with the clear
           information "Modified Version". ...
           [...]