Re: SCSI sg driver does not see the devices.

Hello Alan,

Alan Cox wrote:

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 01:20:08PM +0100, Patrick Caulfield wrote:

For info, I'm seeing this too. If I try to use cdrecord on my USB2 DVD writer it
complains that it can't open /dev/sg1 (ENXIO). If I use a stock 2.6.5 kernel
then it works fine.

I'm glad people reported this it saved me much pain trying to figure out why I couldn't update disk firmware.

Arjan when I asked him says its intentional that /dev/sg now only sees devices
not claimed by other drivers (the other drives support SG_IO so you can open
them and do raw stuff thst way)

The problem with some tape library is that the drive and the changer are the "same" SCSI device the st driver claimed the drive and the library need to be accessed by the sg driver.

Unfortunately the disk fimware tool doesnt know that

Best regards.

Francis