upgrade from fc1 to fc2-test3 /dev not accessible

Hi all,
I just did an upgrade from fc1 to fc2 test3 on my compaq deskpro-en with 512mb ram and 60gb drive.

Now when I try to play any .wav files usingthe play command, I get /dev/dsp not found.

I get the same message when I try to use minicom to check my dsl modem to make sure it is performing properly. only this time the message is /dev/ttyS0 not found.