Fedora and 4GB of memory

Tom Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 12 06:42:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 12:53:00PM -0600, Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote:
> From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler <lynn at garlic.com>
> To: fedora-test-list at redhat.com
> Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 12:53:00 -0600
> Subject: Re: Fedora and 4GB of memory
>

> > From the kernel, I assume that is FC2T3.
> > The machine I am working on is FC2T1, tho I dont know wny that should
> > make a difference.  Oh, well, at least its fixed.
>
> well, possibly being able to view what top displays ... but there is
> still why it isn't showing 4gigs. same kernel on 1gig machine ... top
> will show 1gig .... but on a 4gig machine ... the various monitors and
> displays all come up short (not just top).

What does /proc/meminfo tell:

     $ cat  /proc/meminfo

And what does /var/log/dmesg tell us.

Since 4G is a magic overflow corner case number there is a potential
for any number of arithmetic errors if all the values are not sized
for 64 bits.

The error could be in top, since top looks at /proc/meminfo we should
be able to look at the raw data that top looks at and see if anything is lost
in translation.

Also look at /var/log/dmesg for clues.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l