Sound

I have a weird sound problem on Fedora Core2-Test3. I can play CDs, and
I can play sound files that are on the computer, however I don't get any
system sounds. The sound daemon (esd) is running and I've enabled system
sounds through the gnome-sound-properties (oh, did I say this was on
Gnome). Any ideas would be gratefully received,

Thanks,

Kevin Jones