Re: 2.6 and Blanking Screen

Jason KRISCH wrote:
I was wondering if anyone else on this list was experiencing similar
results:

With FC2T3 on my laptop (HP Pavilion ze5200) I had several issues with
the screen going blank (and the backlight turning off too) during boot.
It seemed to happen at random places at different times during boot. The system
would be locked as far as I could tell and I had to power off. I have
since tried passing "vga=773" or "vga=normal" to the kernel at boot time
and both seem to get me past the screen going blank. (I also pass
"psmouse.proto=imps" so I can tap-click with my touchpad.)

However, when I exit X - no matter what runlevel I am running in, the
screen goes immediately blank, backlight is powered off, and as far as I
can tell
the laptop is locked up.  This applies to "Log Out", "Reboot", and
"Shutdown".  I have found no related entries in my logs.  I have also
tried passing "acpi=off" to the kernel.

Anyone else have issues like this?  I think it is a 2.6 issue more than
a FC2 issue.

I have an hp ze4315us that has a VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility U1.

I tried the 2.5 kernel on it. It seemed to work alright then. (Shutting down X) - That was back awhile ago.

I'd suspect the problem to be with xorg or some other non-kernel issue.

I might try to install the 2.6 kernel on this machine to see if the kernel is not the problem. I stayed at FC1 because of the touchpad issue. (Doesn't just work).

About acpi, I cannot boot without acpi. My laptop freezes up at boot without it.

Follow-up after installing the latestv Fedora Core 2 kernel on FC1. I'd like to try FC2, but was waiting for the synaptic touchpad issue to be cleared up.

Jim

Thanks!

Jed

--
Good day for overcoming obstacles.  Try a steeplechase.