2.6 and Blanking Screen

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Thu May 13 00:37:35 UTC 2004

Jason KRISCH wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone else on this list was experiencing similar
> results:
>
> With FC2T3 on my laptop (HP Pavilion ze5200) I had several issues with
> the screen going blank (and the backlight turning off too) during boot.
> It seemed to happen at random places at different times during boot.
> The system
> would be locked as far as I could tell and I had to power off.  I have
> since tried passing "vga=773" or "vga=normal" to the kernel at boot time
> and both seem to get me past the screen going blank.  (I also pass
> "psmouse.proto=imps" so I can tap-click with my touchpad.)
>
> However, when I exit X - no matter what runlevel I am running in, the
> screen goes immediately blank, backlight is powered off, and as far as I
> can tell
> the laptop is locked up.  This applies to "Log Out", "Reboot", and
> "Shutdown".  I have found no related entries in my logs.  I have also
> tried passing "acpi=off" to the kernel.
>
> Anyone else have issues like this?  I think it is a 2.6 issue more than
> a FC2 issue.

I have an hp ze4315us that has a VGA compatible controller: ATI
Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility U1.

I tried the 2.5 kernel on it. It seemed to work alright then. (Shutting
down X) - That was back awhile ago.

I'd suspect the problem to be with xorg or some other non-kernel issue.

I might try to install the 2.6 kernel on this machine to see if the
kernel is not the problem. I stayed at FC1 because of the touchpad
issue. (Doesn't just work).

About acpi, I cannot boot without acpi. My laptop freezes up at boot
without it.

Follow-up after installing the latestv Fedora Core 2 kernel on FC1. I'd
like to try FC2, but was waiting for the synaptic touchpad issue to be
cleared up.

Jim

--
Good day for overcoming obstacles.  Try a steeplechase.