Intel 82801 sound problem

I have a problem with an 82801EB (Intel) sound chipset. I get a continual rumble from my speakers. When I run the soundcard detection app, it is detected and I can barely hear, under the rumble, the test sound.

System:
P4 3GHz Shuttle motherboard

Sound worked perfectly with RH 9 installed.

I cannot find any references in Google. Anyone having a similar problem?

Emmett