Re: Sound on Intel i845 in test3

James Jensen wrote:
I'm currently running FC2 test3 (which I upgraded to from FC1) on a computer that uses Intel i845 integrated sound chipset.

My problem is that while my chipset is properly detected by the soundcard detection tool, I cannot get audio to work on my computer. This problem did not occur with FC1, and there is no problem with sound on Windows (I have the machine set up for a duel-boot).

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

I have a similar problem on a Dell D600 laptop and Intel sound using Test1 and Test3. Bizarrely it worked fine on Test2.

The problem I have is the sound modules are not loaded at bootup, even though they are correctly in /etc/modprobe.conf. I haven't figured out why yet - anyone else know?

A workaround is to manually load the modules. Before logging into KDE (or presumably Gnome also), switch to a VT and try this:

# lsmod | grep intel

If that doesn't find anything the modules are not loaded, so:

  # modprobe snd-intel8x0
  MC'97 1 converters and GPIO not ready (0xff00)

# lsmod | grep intel
snd_intel8x0 26280 1
snd_ac97_codec 50436 1 snd_intel8x0
snd_pcm 68872 1 snd_intel8x0
snd_page_alloc 7940 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
gameport 3328 1 snd_intel8x0
snd_mpu401_uart 4864 1 snd_intel8x0
snd 38372 9 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device

Now switch back to X and login. Sound should work. I think the reason system-config-soundcard works is because it must do a modprobe first - maybe someone else can confirm this.

If it is any help, my modprobe.conf is:

# cat /etc/modprobe.conf
alias eth0 tg3
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd

Jon