FC2T3 rhn-applet question mark

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Thu May 13 16:53:11 UTC 2004

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 12:02:10PM -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Thu, 13 May 2004 11:54:27 -0400, Will Backman <whb at ceimaine.org> wrote:
> >
> > What ever happened to the question mark on the rhn-applet?
> > I never seem to get that, even when it is unable to connect.
> > I just get the nice blue check mark, which could give me a false sense
> > of security.
> >
> > Is it just me?
>
> cripple an fc1 sources file with an incorrect repo and you get the
> same thing. So its not just you.
>
> On top of that I think there is an underlying design problem, now that
> up2date can use multiple yum repos. How do you inform the user in
> situations where some but not all of the repos are broken in the
> sources file in such a way that users still know about the update from
> the correctly listed repos? The grey question mark, even if it did

  This is exactly the problem. You can either raise an error is any
of the source provided fails, or raise an error if all of them failed.
Since people tend to add multiple source nowadays, I picked the second
behaviour as the default, but it's probably something which need to
be revisited.

> work, is sort of out of place unless all repos listed in sources are
> broken.  From a design standpoint a new icon for the mixed case needs
> to be added maybe a grey exclamation mark to indicate there are
> updates on atleast one working repo listed AND atleast one repo listed
> seems to be unresponsive.

  It starts to be a very confusing interface. We use to have Red/Green/Blue
then we added Grey for network error, and now we would have a fifth level,
which can only be understood if you analyze a more complex set of data.
That's too much ...

Daniel