Re: 2.6 and Blanking Screen

Quasar Jarosz wrote:

On Wed, 12 May 2004, Jim Cornette wrote:

Jason KRISCH wrote:

I was wondering if anyone else on this list was experiencing similar
results:

With FC2T3 on my laptop (HP Pavilion ze5200) I had several issues with
the screen going blank (and the backlight turning off too) during boot.
It seemed to happen at random places at different times during boot.
The system
would be locked as far as I could tell and I had to power off.  I have
since tried passing "vga=773" or "vga=normal" to the kernel at boot time
and both seem to get me past the screen going blank.  (I also pass
"psmouse.proto=imps" so I can tap-click with my touchpad.)

However, when I exit X - no matter what runlevel I am running in, the
screen goes immediately blank, backlight is powered off, and as far as I
can tell
the laptop is locked up.  This applies to "Log Out", "Reboot", and
"Shutdown".  I have found no related entries in my logs.  I have also
tried passing "acpi=off" to the kernel.

Anyone else have issues like this?  I think it is a 2.6 issue more than
a FC2 issue.

I have an hp ze4315us that has a VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility U1.

I tried the 2.5 kernel on it. It seemed to work alright then. (Shutting
down X) - That was back awhile ago.

I'd suspect the problem to be with xorg or some other non-kernel issue.

I might try to install the 2.6 kernel on this machine to see if the
kernel is not the problem. I stayed at FC1 because of the touchpad
issue. (Doesn't just work).

About acpi, I cannot boot without acpi. My laptop freezes up at boot
without it.

Follow-up after installing the latestv Fedora Core 2 kernel on FC1. I'd
like to try FC2, but was waiting for the synaptic touchpad issue to be
cleared up.

Jim

I've got a Pavillion ze4430us, with the same ATI Mobility U1 card, that FC2 auto-detects and uses the radeon driver with. I have no problems on any of the latest kernels. I've seen the blanking problem on other laptops, but have had no trouble with this one. It works just fine for me. I'd really like the hardware aceleration to work.. but i guess i'll have to wait on it.

Looks like I lucked out on avoiding the blanking problem. I had an old laptop that used s3-virge earlier and it bloomed instead of blanked.

Thanks for the additional information. I figured one vendor, similar hardware.

As for the synaptics touch-pad, it was sad that it's not auto-detected, however, given that the FC2 release date is very close at hand, unless it's arleady been "fixed", i doubt support will be in the official FC2 release.

I can say however, that setting it up was very easy - just grab the
synaptics driver, unzip, compile, install, and change the driver lines in
your xorg.conf, just like the install file from the driver says. It works
great after that, no problems at all.

This is the first real 2.6 kernel that I used. I'll have to get the synaptic program and do the unzipping, ... installing, manual configuration, as descried. The 2.6 kernel does seem a bit quicker. The added work won't hold me back from FC2 final.

Thanks,

Jim

PS - Sorry Jason, I figured HP laptop = hp laptop. Does the blanking problem happen at all resolutions on exit?

-Quasar