kernel 2.6.5-1.326 and later break apt-get FC1 packages (under mach)

Hi,

I have a Fedora Core 1 system for building some homemade FC1/RH9 packages, with the help of mach (http://thomas.apestaart.org/projects/mach/). The system is basically FC1+updates but I also regularly update a few packages (listed below) to FC development.

Recently I found that with kernel-smp 2.6.5-1.326 or higher, mach could not set up a chroot'ed FC1 system. Specifically, 4 packages, coreutils, dev, pam, and initscripts, cannot be apt-get installed due to preinstall script error. Interestingly mach can still set up a chroot'ed RH9 environment. Everything is OK with kernel-smp 2.6.5-1.322, or lower.

My current solution is to use the 322 kernel with FC1. But I am afraid if I upgrade the full system to FC2, mach will still have problems in setting up a FC1 build environment. Thus I cannot build FC1 packages anymore. I would like to know what changes in the kernel might be the real cause?

** Packages I updated to FC development **
apr bind bind-chroot device-mapper httpd initscripts kernel-smp
libselinux lvm lvm2 mkinitrd mod_dav_svn mod_ssl rcs subversion swig

--Ling