SOLVED: Booting from Ultra ATA Controller -> Kernel Panic

Hannes Mayer wrote:
Hi all!

Today I bought an additional IDE controller
(ULTRA ATA - 133 PCI Controller  - no other brand visible).
Now my machine looks like the following:

Motherboard-controller:
Primary HD (windoze) + Secondary HD (data on NTFS)

New IDE controller:
Fedora HD as master

My BIOS recognizes the controller
  IT8212 ATAPI BIOS V1.4.1.2
it is scanning the bus, gets the Fedora HD on the controller
and I can boot from the Fedora HD via BIOS boot options.
The GRUB screen comes up, but then:

mkrootdev: label / not found
mount: error 2 mounting ext3
pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
umount /initrd/proc failed: 2
Freeing unused kernel memory: 148k freed
Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

Here is the solution :-)

I booted the fedora HD as slave of the motherboard controller:

# lspci -v

[...]
02:0b.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Integrated Technology Express, Inc.
   IT/ITE8212 Dual channel ATA RAID controller (PCI version seems to be IT8212,
   embedded seems (rev 11)
        Subsystem: Integrated Technology Express, Inc.: Unknown device 0001
        Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
        I/O ports at a800
        I/O ports at ac00 [size=4]
        I/O ports at b000 [size=8]
        I/O ports at b400 [size=4]
        I/O ports at b800 [size=16]

# joe -w grub.conf

title Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.356)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.356 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet selinux=0 ide2=0xa800,0xac02
        initrd /initrd-2.6.5-1.356.img

The formula: ide2=A,B+2 where A is the address of the first I/O port and B the address of the second I/O port plus 2. (fedora HD as master on the master IDE port on the controller card)

Cheers,
Hannes.