Working Firewire in FC2?

Laurent GUERBY laurent at guerby.net
Sat May 15 14:39:03 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 20:37, Dave Jones wrote:
> The current SuSE kernel has just under 1,000 patches (no exaggeration).

I'm curious on how you're counting. I installed SuSE 9.1 on my laptop
(my other machine is running FC1, I previously tried FC2t1 and FC2t3 and
filed a few bugzilla for my laptop). I'm not too familiar with SuSE SRPM
(having followed Red Hat for a few years) but it looks like patches are
in files like patches.xxx.tar.bz2, when I count files for all the xxx
tarballs in kernel-source-2.6.4-54.5 I find 485, about 100 seems
trivially not relevant for FC2 comparison x86/amd64 (ppc, s390, uml,
various helper scripts, selection of patches from > 2.6.4 vanilla
kernel). The remaining number is of course still big but the interesting
thing will be wether the number goes toward zero when future 2.6 kernel
are released. I'm not following LKML or bitkeeper, so I don't know
if these patches get submitted upstream.

Current 2.6 kernel has not yet reached the coverage and stability of 2.4
kernels so the initial FC2 users will suffer from this (I assume the
Fedora project will put big disclaimers) but since this will
help achieving total world domination, well... :)

Sincerely,

Laurent