Re: final release

Damian Menscher wrote:
On Sat, 15 May 2004, William Hooper wrote:

Eugen Leitl said:

This isn't applicable for torrents and freecache. There's no point not to
open those once you have a master, and an initial seed community.

Which would lead to a firehose of "I can't use bittorrent, why isn't it on the mirrors" posts.

Is it really so terrible to wait a couple of days?

Yes, it really is.  Here the school semester just ended, and students
are away for a few days.  It's the perfect time to upgrade, and I'd been
planning it for this time ever since the 5/3 release was predicted.  In
another few days the users will be back.

Isn't the entire point of a torrent that it goes fast for everyone, and
faster if more people use it?  Wouldn't the mirrors get it faster that
way?  Though personally I have to wonder why mirrors still exist.  Those
who use them *should* be penalized.

I still feel uncomfortable with p2p transfers. Also, I don't like the idea of getting the download in fragments and then reconstructed. I would rather get transfers from mirrors with a pretty good reputation, instead of a bits and pieces download and reconstructed files.

Jim

Some random analogies: carpool lane
on the highway (2+ people in your car, you can go faster), automatic
lanes at toll booth (you pay faster, you can get through faster), ATM
machine (you don't need hand-holding, you get more convenient service).

Personally, I usually grab a copy via bittorrent and then give it to our
local mirror.

Damian Menscher

--
What happened last night can happen again.