Re: Unable to boot on WinXP after Fedora Core 2 test3 install

Marco Bicca wrote:

At 19:21 05-15-2004 +0200, you wrote:

Ok .. here is my setup:

2 120GB Harddrives on a Promise Controller as HDE and HDG

I have Fedora on HDE and WinXP on HDG

If I do not hide the partitions under HDE I couldn't boot to WinXP (Don't know why)

windows set the priority in a physical/filesystem mixture.
afair:
the first hd, first primary partition, first ntfs partition is C:
the second hd, first primary partition, first ntfs partition is D:
i can not remeber how windows is setting the priority with fat-vfat-partitions and scsi/ide mixture

could it be that win-xp is seeing now the partitions created by anaconda,
as the result the boot.ini is misconfigured
and XP is trying to boot from the wrong disk/partition eg. hde1 instead hdg1 ?

can you show us your c:\boot.ini ? thanks

afair:
multi(0) = 1. controller
disk(0)  = 1. ide-hd
rdisk(0) = 1. scsi-hd
partition(1) = 1. partition

The partition that I have on HDG is NTFS, after I did that change it's working beautifully ...

I don't have any extended partitions on any hard drive all partitions are primary I have two partitions on HDE

unhide(hd0,0)(hd0,1) = XP is unbootable
   because XP can see this disk/partitions and the  boot.ini  is fault ?
hide  = XP is bootable
   because  the boot.ini  is ok

and one partition on HDG.

which should be in your boot.ini surely the first hd, first primary-bootable-ntfs-partition

evtl. multi(1) ?
----
c:\boot.ini
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
----

HDE
/ - ext3 - primary
swap - primary
HDG
ntfs - primary

Let me know if you need anything else :)
Thanks,

Marco Bicca wrote:

I have an installation with Windows XP and Fedora Core 2 Test 3 and my Windows option inside grub looks like:

rootnoverify (hd1,0)
unhide (hd1,0)
hide (hd0,0)
hide (hd0,1)
makeactive
chainloader 1+

what would happen if you unhide (hd0,0) (hd0,1) can you boot into xp ?

do you have an extented partition on hda or 2 primaries ?
do you have only 1 primary on hdb for xp ?

my w2k-prof boot.ini under vmware on sda1
----
c:\boot.ini
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
----

--
shrek-m