final release

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at ckloiber.com
Sun May 16 08:50:39 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 16:37, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 03:57:23PM +0800, Chris Kloiber wrote:
>
> > 1) Because the mirrors are "tiered". In other words, there are a few
> > mirrors who get the bits directly from Red Hat, then there are other
> > mirrors who get the bits from those who got the bits from Red Hat. If
>
> All is good and well for those who use mirrors.
>
> > the first tier mirrors opened public downloads early, then the second
> > group of mirrors would not be able to get the bits as they had to fight
> > for connections. Thus everyone would be complaining that they could not
> > get the bits.
>
> This isn't applicable for torrents and freecache. There's no point not to
> open those once you have a master, and an initial seed community.

The mirror admins have a "gentlemen's agreement" not to release until
the official release date. This includes the torrents. The initial seed
community you speak of is basically the mirrors. They are using their
bandwidth to synch up right now. When the release is announced they will
all open (nearly) simultaneously.

You actually got freecache to work? I saw it mentioned as a method of
slashdot-proofing a website, and that very day freecache itself was
slashdotted all to hell and gone. </me shrugs>

--
Chris Kloiber