Re: Serious reservations about FC2 release on 5/18

Confushion schrieb:

Folks,

Fedora Core 2 supposedly is about to be released.

A very serious bug exists which can render dual-boot Windows XP
installations inoperable. The problem has been discussed in other
threads here on this list, and can be found in bugzilla, so I won't go
over it in more detail. Please see bugzilla bugs 120128 and 115980. This problem happens on my hardware even if the harddrive is wiped, and
a fresh Windows XP install is performed before FC2-test3. I know about this problem because I experienced it first hand in
FC2-test3. The only way I've found to work around it is to install
Windows XP, then FC1, and finally do an UPGRADE to FC2-test3. Something
is just plain not right with the FC2 "from scratch" installation
process. This problem did NOT exist in FC1!

A quick fix would be to install GRUB into the boot block of the hard disk partition that
holds the /boot directory instead of the MBR. You can then dump the GRUB boot sector
to a file and use the Windows XP boot loader to boot into linux.

Regards