final release - p2p or mirrors

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Mon May 17 02:39:33 UTC 2004

Jim Cornette wrote:

> Would this be like a partition with no prior data installed? A
> partition previously formatted and mounted to a specified point. Say,
> for example /mnt/bittorrent?
>
> Having a low fragmentation level would be desirable goal for a to be
> created CD set.

I'm not sure.. The latest version of bittorrent (according to the
homepage) , allocates space when it is needed , instead of allocating
all the space when starting the download. This can now lead to high
fragmentation (as any file changing size can be fragmented)...

> Thanks for pointing out the safegaurds setup for a transfer of this
> type. Would the unmatching chunks be discarded or would the bittorrent
> process be interrupted? Either way, the bittorrent does not sound as
> risky as it once did. I still prefer ftp transfers from familiar
> mirrors. This is mainly because with bittorrent, you have to learn how
> to open ports for the torrent, people are pulling bits from my
> machine, I am pulling bits from machines that are unfamiliar to me.

The bad chunks are simply discarded and the download continues. These
chunks are then downloaded from other sources and this is repeated
untill you get the full file , with the correct checksum... It's the
same idea behind the protocol used in xmule/amule/emule/edonkey.
Download each part , check it and download from someone else if it is
not valid.

--
Pedro Macedo