Re: final release - p2p or mirrors

Chris Kloiber wrote:
On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 19:37, Jim Cornette wrote:

I was wondering if a CDROM created from a fragmented retrieval would hunt all over the place for bits and pieces of files. Those motors of hunting operations from CDROMs can be quite noisy.

I don't believe it works like that. If a CD/DVD is fragmented on the
hard drive, the hard drive will seek like mad when writing the CD/DVD,
but the resulting CD/DVD will be identical to the original. Any
thrashing on the burned copy will be same as the original.

OK, I was thinking that the iso on the hard disk was going to be the exact representation of what will be burned onto the CD discs. HD Disk thrashing doesn't bother me, if it doesn't effect the CD disc created.

If the torrent throws out chunks of the file in predictable sizes, then the torrent might be easier to slice with the added fragmentation.

I have to open ports, install bittorrent, grab the torrent file and join in the wave. Hopefully the setup won't take longer (for me), than ftp'ing the images traditionally.

Thanks,

Jim

--
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold.