Re: sharing /boot beween FC1 and FC2

shmuel siegel wrote:
On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 11:33, Chris Jones wrote:

Hi,

I want to upgrade my system to FC2, but since it took a long time to get things going correctly in FC1 I want to dual boot both for a while instead of upgrading only to discover things don't work, sharing /home and a few data partitions. I already have a /boot partition for FC1 and I am wondering if I can just point the FC2 install to this during installation - will it add itself correctly to grub.conf, or will it crash my FC1 boot options ? Is this just a bad idea ?

cheers Chris

In my experience with the test releases, this has not been straight forward. I advise you to back up /boot, do the install, copy back the old vmlinuz, System.map, config and initrd files. Then hand merge the old grub.conf with the new grub.conf. But more importantly, you must use a different root partition, i.e. "/" , or you old system will become inoperable.

Sure, backing up /boot before is definitely a good idea and I was planning on doing that. Also I was planning to install FC2 into its own root partition, so "/" for FC1 and FC2 are completely seperate. I can then share the /home partition plus a few others I have for data files.

So I guess in principle this should work, but I probably will have to rebuild /boot by hand afterwards to get everything working..

cheers Chris