Strange X behaviour with FC2

During install I get a blank (black) screen with my ASUS TI4200 Nvidia
card. I do a text install to get around this. The card, monitor and
mouse are detected properly. After the install the X screen comes up but
is just a series of vertical cyan coloued bars. If I log in on the text
console and do an init 3 and then an init 5 I get the normal graphical
login screen you would expect. The same behaviour occurs if I install
the nvidia driver. I wonder if the order of service startups needs to
change?