Re: Why is "LANG=en_US.UTF-8" the default in Fedora

Eric Wood wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ernest L. Williams Jr."

Many applications seem to have a problem with the default locale in
Fedora. (e.g. adobe acrobat reader)

Why is the default US.UTF-8?

Any time I use sed or grep on my script I make sure to set LANG=c first. US.UTF-8 slows grep searches *way* down. It was so slow that I thought I had hardware problems - nope, just unicode slowing down my scripts.

-eric wood

It also makes them case insensitive. #^%$$# ^&%*& !!!