FC2 and grip from www.ferdora.us

Has anyone managed to rip a cd to mp3 on FC2 I installed lame and grip
and xmms-mp3 from www.fedora.us and freshrpms

I can play the cd in grip and I can play other mp3 I've riped before
with xmms. But when I rip a cd with grip it makes the .wav(25M or so)
and .mp3(5 meg or so) files but there is no sound when played with xmms.
Strings on the wave files seems to only show the headers and strings on
the mp3 show a lots of UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU or
555555555555555555555555

anyone done it?