Re: What modifies the file "redhat-release" ?

On Sat, 22 May 2004, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:

Hi,

My desktop system reports Fedora 2 after updating from rawhide prior to
May 18.  Cool.

However, my laptop may have not been so lucky.  If I were to point my
laptop to rawhide now, I would have beyond Fedora 2, right?
Looks like rawhide is back to full throttle.

Perhaps. You will get updated packages - don't know if there is an updated fedora-release pacakge which changes the name back to 'rawhide'

How can I get my laptop on Fedora 2 without using the ISO distro?  I
think the laptop is really close if not already there but redhat-release
still reports 1.92.

point yum to FC2 (release) repository and do 'yum update' (or upgrade)

So, what modifies redhat-release?

When you (or yum) installs updated 'fedora-release' package. You could check with:

rpm -qf /etc/redhat-release

Satish