[fc2t1] Can't boot 2.6.6X kernels

I've never gotten sound to work in several attempts so thought maybe
updating to latest kernel would help.

After rpm -ivh and boot that kernel it stalls at the line that says
something like:

   Freeing memory... blah 152kb or something similar.

There it hangs indefinitely.  I see no other output that looks
ominous to that point.  Any ideas here what might be going on?