fc2 kernel panic

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Tue May 25 13:19:25 UTC 2004

On Mon, 24 May 2004, Ted Kaczmarek wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 11:15 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > so, might it be possible to be a bit more precise in the subject lines
> > than the generic, catch-all "fc2 kernel panic"?
> >
> > rday

> I apologize for the lack of detail in my subject, but I thought I made
> it crystal clear in the body.

that's all right, it's just that, in the linux world, the phrase "kernel
panic" generally gets peoples' attention in a real hurry, so putting it in
a subject line will definitely get you some hits.  that it's just due to a
missing or broken "init" means some folks can start breathing more easily
again.

> I would love to learn more about your minit project, so please do keep
> us posted :-)

the "minit" thing is pretty much for an embedded system i'm working on.
replaces /sbin/init with /sbin/minit, and defines a new directory-based
structure for starting services at boot time, with properties like "once"
and "respawn".  and also provides an "msvc" command for prodding "minit"
to stop, start and restart services.

definitely cool, but perhaps not much value outside of the embedded system
world.  it's not my project, i'm just using it.  you can read about it at

http://www.fefe.de/minit/

rday