Nvidia Riva 128

Chris Tencati turtle83011 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 1 06:38:04 UTC 2004

Hi,

first, sorry if this posts to a new thread, but I accidentally deleted the
mail so I had to make a new one.

Anyway, it's fairly likely that your problem isn't what was mentioned.  I
don't know about that specific card, but the nvidia installer doesn't
'finish' properly with newer fedora installs...not sure if this is a problem
with the installer or with fedora, though I'm inclined to believe it's
because fedora keeps changing all the init systems.  Basically the installer
doesn't actually setup automatic loading of the kernel module.  So if you
have your xorg.conf file correctly setup to use the nvidia drivers, but the
module isn't loaded, it dies with the "no screens" message.  I've noticed a
*lot* of people on nvidia's linux forums have had this problem, and I
finally got them to sticky a post about this cause.

Boot into terminal mode, and before you do startx, try 'lsmod |grep nvidia'.
  If the module is loaded, then you should start screwing with the screen
configs etc, but I wouldn't start with that until you're sure it's the
problem :)

Assuming that the module is not loaded, do 'modprobe nvidia' and add that
line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local anywhere so it will be loaded automatically on
boot.

I know FC2 and prior set it up for you properly (even the same version
drivers), so I'm pretty sure that whatever init file(s) the installer
modifies are no longer used/present in newer versions of Fedora.
Unfortunately which files it uses at any given time seems to change weekly
:-\