Kudos to whomever worked on the synaptics touchpad driver !

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 2 00:36:01 UTC 2004

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 11:31 -0600, Satish Balay wrote:
> > Well - you want to remove all x/gui packages anyway - and most (if not
> > all) synaptic dependent packages (including up2date) are gui packages
> > anyway - hence should be removed (according to your minimal spec)
> >

> Up2date is not a GUI package. It is a text-mode tool. There is also
> up2date-gnome for those who additionally want a GUI tool, and rhn-applet
> to let them know in GNOME of needed updates. But up2date itself is text-
> based and has been key to keeping all my boxes properly patched.

Sorry - my mistake.

> I would understand synaptics requiring rhpl to be present. After all,
> "the rhpl package contains Python code used by programs in Red Hat
> Linux" is what "rpm -qi rhpl" says. What I cannot understand is that
> rhpl *requires* synaptics. That seems backwards.

rhpl has code that requires synaptics.

[root at n-gage-11 ~]# rpm -ql rhpl | grep py\$ | xargs grep -l synaptics
/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rhpl/mouse.py
/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rhpl/xhwstate.py

As you point out - this causes x11 dependency on up2date. I agree this
is a bug that should be fixed.

My initial sugestion was - perhaps rhpl can be easily split into
'rhpl','rhpl-gui', thus preserving the required synaptics dep - and at
the same time not pulling in 'x' depencencies for non-gui config
tools.

> fontconfig               244,563
> freetype               2,433,842
> xorg-x11-libs          6,260,002
> xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL      474,388
> synaptics                 94,970
> rhpl                   1,109,176
> up2date                4,442,185
>                TOTAL: 15,059,126 (14,706KB)

Ok - among all these packages the false (synaptics) depencecy is
causing grief only with up2date.

Satish