NetworkManager Issues

Andrew cmkrnl at speakeasy.net
Wed Nov 3 13:15:36 UTC 2004

Ziga Mahkovec wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 11:07 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
>>I've tried NetworkManager too, and can't get it to work.
>>However, this is almost certainly my fault.
>>I just tried the latest rpm I found.
>

> If you're having problems with your wireless interface --
> from my experience, NetworkManager works best if you set you access
> point to broadcast the SSID and use Shared Key authentication.  Also
> make sure NetworkManagerInfo is in your gnome session.
The problem with this I have found is that if you have your session
automatically save settings on exit - which I prefer (although I realize
most don't), you get n+1 NetworkManagerInfo and NetworkManagerNotification
processes on each successive login.  Rather than having just 1 icon in the
notification area I've ended up with as many as 6. -- Now that is something
I just take into consideration when saving my gnome-session settings.

I have found that its really important to have the NetworkManager service
running before logging into the gnome-session. [which gave me a lot of
trouble when I started playing with NM, since I was used to netplugd.]

> There still appears to be an issue with the WEP key pop-up reappearing;
> I sent a works-for-me patch to the networkmanager-list which I hope will
> get in.

[snip]
On the plus side the approach is sound, and by FC4 it will be great, but
right now, it takes a fair amount of wrestling to make it useful in FC3.
Not impossible, but not easy.  Plus the wireless card drivers all have
very different ways of presenting things like the access-point lists, stats,
signal strength, etc, which makes something like NM even harder (and
more important) to implement. I know I am going to track it periodically either
via post FC3 rawhide or through cvs.