dual install results, artheros drivers, touchpad on a toshiba satellite p35 s609

Kim Lux lux at diesel-research.com
Wed Nov 3 18:03:59 UTC 2004

Comments below.

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 10:55 -0800, Paul Rennix wrote:
> I just set up FC3t3 on a Toshiba p35 s609 - it went well!
>
> I set it up as a dual boot with the oem WinXP Home SP2 and used knoppix to
> resize the partition and then installed FC3.  NO disk geometry problems!! I
> didn't use any of the workarounds that were necessary with fc2, and the
> install was flawless.

Glad to hear it.  Mine install went OK that way as well.

> Now I only have a couple minor problems to work through.  One, is the
> convoluted process that I am finding to install drivers for artheros wifi -
> which I have gone through twice now without success.  I know its a longshot,
> but has anyone had success with these drivers on fc3?

Not those, but the Broadcom drivers on a ZD7000.  We all use the
ndiswrapper, which is simple and works well.  See zd7000forums.com under
Linux.  There is a HOWTO there that explains it pretty well.

> Also, the install failed to recognize the touchpad which windows reports to
> be an "alps pointing device" which is a touchpad and 2 buttons (no "stick.")
> It is doing well with a wireless usb mouse, though.

Can't help you here.  The Linux synaptics touchpad driver works
exellent, better than the Windows version.  Did we expect any less ?

> I figured I would have some problems along these lines on such a new device
> (released in July I believe).  More than anything I am SO GLAD that the disk
> geometry bug seems to have been fixed. Good work!

I found it very neat to be able to resize the ntfs partition and thus
avoid having to re install XP.

> If anyone has any advice on the atheros/madwifi problem or the touchpad I
> would love to hear from you.

Try ndiswrapper.  A bunch of us are using it problem free on the
ZD7000s.  Our wireless light even lights up.

--
Kim Lux (Mr.)  Diesel Research Inc