FC3 RC5 - Networked LPD server printing still not working.

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Thu Nov 4 10:25:52 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 00:18 -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 23:53 -0500, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> > Well, checked out shorewall and it does indeed seem powerful and
> > thoroughly documented, but is overkill for my little home network
> > requirements, plus must admit to having gotten used to the Firestarter
> > cute GUI - a tough admission from an old command-line guy.
>
> You are more than welcome to keep Firestarter. No one tool is suitable
> for all tasks. However, should you desire to attempt Shorewall, let me
> offer (from memory, so not 100% guaranteed!) a quick-quick-start:
>
> 	1. Create a "net" and a "loc" zone in zones file. Probably already
> there, not much to do. If not there, format is "net Net Internet" and
> "loc Local Local Zone".
>
> 	2. Write "eth0 net" and "eth1 loc" lines in interfaces file. Check that
> eth0 is actually your outside interface, adjust to needs. For reference,
> since my Internet access (external) interface gets its address via DHCP,
> mine actually say:
>
> 	net	eth0	detect	blacklist,dhcp
> 	loc	eth1	detect
> ... snip ...

Very nice guide to augment quickstart docs.  Will pass it on to the
admin at work, and may help the OP; although looks like he may have the
same single-Ethernet setup I have.  For a simple end-user firewall to
backup in case any bad guys get through the router, will stick with
Firestarter, now that it works again.

Thanks for being so helpful.

Cheers,
Phil