Proliant CSB-6 Raid Drivers for Fedora

AWC Maillists maillists at awcconsulting.com
Fri Nov 5 21:34:17 UTC 2004

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 10:48 -0800, William Hewitt wrote:
>
>>Slightly off topic.....
>>
>>Has anyone had any experience with getting these drivers into a
>>"virgin" HP and then installing Redhat/Fedora? If so, can someone give
>>me a clue - like which one will work? HP's site is not too obvious or
>>straightforward....
>>

> you don't need drivers for this software raid; you can just use the
> dmraid software tool!

Errr, you do if the Kernel does not even recognize the controller drives
at all.  (Which it does not with this esoteric controller.) And I am
always amazed how people seems to think using software raid is as good a
solution as using hardware raid.  Come on, there is no comparison,
hardware RAID is faster and more reliable and has little to no CPU
overhead.  Software raid can be CPU intensive and not as reliable.

As for the CDB-6 RAID drivers... I personally gave up.  I talked with
HP's Linux department at length and there is no source code available
for the CSB-6 drivers.  They released some RPMs and floppy images, but
they are only available for a few Linux distributions (Fedora is not one
of them.)  Not a single one of the drivers released by HP/Compaq
supports the 2.6 kernal so it does not look very good.

I ended up just disabling the onboard RAID controller completely and
went with an Adaptec RAID card (which worked out of the box)  configured
as a RAID5 array with 4x300MB drives.

If you use RH9, RHEL2, HP does offers install floppy disc images that
you use during the install process to provide the appropriate drivers
during setup.  (Hint: look for instructions on using a driver disc
during an install of Linux...)

Good luck and report back if you manage to get it working in Fedora