Another NetworkManager question

Amitabha Roy royamitabha at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 15:22:16 UTC 2004

I am noticing that on starting NMI, NM  connects
to the best wireless signal it can associate with. (I think this is default
and expected behaviour, but can someone clarify that it is ?)

OK,  rerun NMI and then connect
to a private wireless network XXX with WEP. The applet tells me that
it is connected to this network XXX with 30%signal strength. It sounds
very suspicious
so I look at iwconfig  - and it actually shows association with a *different*
public network YYY that is not encrypted (which has a weak signal).

So when I restart NM and NMI, I know get to connect to the private network with
80% signal strength (its connected to XXX).

How is it possible that iwconfig and NM applet show conflicting information ?
In this case at least a 30% signal strength means that NM applet information
is actually incorrect.

I am using orinoco_cs rc2 and NM from CVS.

Also, can someone tell me where NM stores keys, ap information,
history of recorded
networks etc ? How can I reset all the information so that NM does not try
to repeat old mistakes ?

Amitabha