nvidia driver does not load via modprobe.conf

Jim Martin bavinic at comcast.net
Sun Nov 7 23:35:07 UTC 2004

Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I installed "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run" today.
>
>The driver does not load upon reboot which leads to X failing.
>
>I noticed the following line in my modprobe.conf file:
>
>================ modprobe.conf snippet =========================
>alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
>alias char-major-195* nvidia
>
>After running "modprobe nvidia" manually everything works.  However,
>next time I boot up it is gone again.
>

>Does anyone know the magic trick here?
>

>Thanks,
>Ernesto

What I do is edit /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
where it says other="" I put other="nvidia" works for me,

also, if you are going to do that, you will need to either remove the
rhgb from the grub menu, or make a copy of your xorg.conf and copy it to
/etc/rhgb/xorg.conf and replace the area where it says nvidia with nv ,
this will allow for fedora graphics on boot, and will still use the
nvidia module for gdm and x.

Jim