Installing Java

Paul Nasrat pnasrat at redhat.com
Thu Nov 11 20:18:42 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 13:51 -0500, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> For Fedora Core 3, do I need to install a Java distribution, or is there
> a Java that already works? A quick check shows I have a jar utility
> installed but not, apparently, a java engine. The Release Notes say
> nothing about Java.

yum install java-1.4.2-gcj-compat java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-devel

For gcj, else go to jpackage.org and follow the instructions on
http://jpackage.org/rebuilding.php

Build and install java-1.4.2-VENDOR you'll want to install the -devel
package, plus -fonts and -plugin for applets.

Then add the jpackage repos to yum and you should be all set.

We hope to have a 1.6 release very shortly (final touches)

Paul