FC3 - Has the community given up on up2date?

Fulko.Hew at sita.aero Fulko.Hew at sita.aero
Thu Nov 11 22:10:32 UTC 2004

Arangel Angov <ufo at linux.net.mk>@redhat.com on 11/11/2004 03:37:01 PM
wrote:

>Will Backman wrote:
>
>>Has the community given up on up2date?
>>

>Up2date looks like a tool developed by microsoft in the windowsME stage.
>The damn thing just doesn't work. It freezes all the time and If I want
>to update smth with it I open a new desktop area and run up2date only
>there, is someone msg's me and the gaim windows opens, up2date freezes
>under it and I have to kill it. It freezes if you open anything above it
>or in the same desktop. Really really sux. Two options, either
>developers fix it once and for all or flush it from Fedora. Just my
opinion.

The only time up2date freezes is when it has been told to get stuff
from a non-existant or non-responsive mirror.

It may also look bad (ie. not repainting its window when its uncovered)
because it only repaints the window 'after' it has received something
from the other end, and needs to update the window.  (of course it still
updates when its idle)

Other that that (bad mirror config), up2date works just fine.

Of course it would be nice if the repository would return package size
info, like it used to under RH-pre-Fedora, but cest la vie.

Yum is great if you love command line stuff, or if you want to run it
under cron, but up2date also has a GUI, and works fine, for all the
basic stuff (that 99% of the population is looking for).