FC3 - Has the community given up on up2date?

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Nov 12 02:10:31 UTC 2004

Will Backman wrote:
> Has the community given up on up2date?

I still use up2date and have not experienced any major problems until
the recent bogging down of mirrors for FC3.

I'm running a version from development, before I cut off rawhide of
up2date-4.3.52-3. I notice that there is now some feedback as to why
up2date takes s long during dep resolution. It seems to be downloading
headers from all of the repositories listed in the sources file.

Anyway, I have used yum, apt during trials and have felt comfortable
with up2date with its multi-repo capabilities, different configuration
warnings and its easy to use GUI interface. (Exclude repos, packages,
etc from a list during installations.

Of course, having experienced slow download speeds when we were using
RHN and the non-paying upgrade accounts might be a reminder feature from
the RHL days and a way to hold onto the past. Maybe something related to
RHN in up2date is causing the lag during the dep resolution phase.

I'm holding onto up2date for now. It is nice to have different options
available for maintaining one's system.

One Note: If red-carpet gets to be included into the distribution or is
reliable and functional within FC releases, I would use this over
up2date, yum or apt as a program installer/removal tool.

Jim