Problem with DVD iso for Core 3

Doug Maurer doug at dmaurer.net
Fri Nov 12 18:42:19 UTC 2004

> same here.
> Sometimes I get can't recognize CDROM drive, sometimes it's ok.
> I was able to have the booted image do a checksum check of the dvd and it
>    passed ok.
> It was ever so helpful - on a few occasions to start the update,
>    remove old kernel's, install the new one, then Die in the middle on
>    some random rpm with a cdrom read error.  If you tried
>    to continue the process, after one  or two tries it would read that package
>    and then fail on another.  Eventually it would lock up the whole system.
> I was previously running FC1 and FC1 had no issues reading or writing dvd's,
> so I don't think the hardware suddenly broke.
>
> steve

After installing fc3 Wednesday I wanted a second copy of FC3 cd's, so I
put a blank cd in my dvd/cdrom burner and launched k3b. Only one
problem, k3b didn't see a cdrom. I check the /media directory and no
cdrecorder. I was like ok let me reboot with option ide=nodma. This time
I had cdrecorder, but one of the errors I got from k3b was to check
permissions on /dev/hd#, my cdrom was on hdd, and it had rwxr_xr_x
on /dev/hdd I chmod 777 on hdd and k3b was happy again.

strange little gremlins running around
--
Doug Maurer
doug at dmaurer.net