Applications for FC4

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon Nov 15 13:50:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 01:52:18PM +1100, Aaron Scott wrote:
> Torrent on the part of Fedora's legal team considering what most people
> use it for.  It doesn't seem to matter these days that it can be used
> ( and is used!! ) for non-pirating non-porn activities, it might cause
> Fedora some greif down the track.

And spammers use sendmail..

I would like to see a bit torrent client in Fedora because it is becoming a
common distribution medium for legal media. Also because the way it functions
you know what you are fetching so unlike some systems a legitimate user doesnt
find out that their box is providing piracy services when they are doing legal
stuff.

> Imagine the support request to various mailing list for that!  :-D

The MPAA are as able as anyone else to join the fedora lists, and if people
are going to ask dumb questions then the MPAA can beat them up and we can
kick offending users off the list.

> User: I am having trouble with a certain bit torrent.  It doesn't work
> in the Fedora supplied client.
> Support Person: Can you please send the torrent file for testing.
> User: Erm....er.....erm  I would rather not.

This already occurs with web browsers and porn sites 8)

Alan