FC3 NFS install with ISO images does not work

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Nov 15 14:19:46 UTC 2004

On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 06:25:48PM -0800, George Hill wrote:
> Can you do an NFS install using ISO images with FC3 as
> you could with FC2? I just tried and it did not work.
>
> With FC2, you could boot as linux askmethod, specify
> NFS, point to an NFS-mountable directory that
> contained the ISO images, and install. I tried that
> with FC3 and I get a message saying that it does not
> look like the directory contains Fedora. When I did a
> mount -o loop ... the NFS install went fine (until it
> ran out of stuff to install -- I could only mount one
> iso image). Anyone else run into this? Thoughts?
> Thanks,

I just did an upgrade using NFS, and I had no problems. I used the
rescue CD to boot the target machine, not CD 1.

In exports:

/misc/isos/fc3.isos 192.168.10.0/24(ro,no_root_squash,sync)

and stop NFS entirely, then restart it.

Also, I had the rescue CD image in the directory with the four main
CDs. I don't know if the last was required or not, but that's my
setup.

ls /misc/isos/fc3.isos/
FC3-i386-disc1.iso FC3-i386-disc2.iso FC3-i386-disc3.iso
FC3-i386-disc4.iso FC3-i386-rescuecd.iso MD5SUM

My NFS host is an FC1 machine.