Minimal install (was: Re: Features for FC4)

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Tue Nov 16 03:29:28 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 21:17 -0600, W. Guy Thomas wrote:
> my vote for best vent of the year.
> Rodolfo, could you post your minimal install doc link here please?

<grin> I actually do feel better, too.

http://www.simpaticus.com/linux/small-netserver-fc3-howto.php

Please note that this is a DRAFT version of a larger document so it may
be confusing for newbies (this text included not for W. Guy but for
possible reading by said newbies). However, nothing in the doc will be
harmful or toxic to your system, and nothing has been done to force
anything. Safe as a baby's bottom.

More "weight savings" could have been accomplished with a heavier hand
(particularly, about 25MB could easily be recovered by deleting docs
in /usr/share/doc, and another 15MB or so recovered by just removing
synaptics with --force and then deleting all packages which it in turn
required). Those changes will be documented later... for now, there is
only safe stuff in there.

Two things also:

   1. If someone will kindly help me figure out how to edit the
comps.xml file without spending days on it, I'm sure I can work with the
Fedora team to knock 150MB-200MB from the FC4 minimal install.

   2. And if someone will help me a little with writing my kickstart
file, I can provide an automated way to install my package list within a
day or two.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>