more information on my trouble reading CDROM's with hdc=ide-cd. Anybody else?

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Thu Nov 18 12:55:42 UTC 2004

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 06:14:47PM -0600, Paul Johnson wrote:
> SUCCESS! with:
>
> mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
>
> That worked with a CDR I wrote.
>
> I was suspicious that this reallly fixed it, then unmounted and tried
>
> mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

Bingo. Ok I am enlightened. this one isn't actually hal's fault.

> What next? Can I configure the hal or udev to get this right?

Perhaps. The problem is that some of the other file system code looks
at the _end_ of the disk. Unfortunately CD-R doesn't have an "end" it
sort of tails out into no-mans land. Most drives politely handle such
requests, some don't. The ide-scsi driver has the needed magic to work
around some of this, ide-cd lacks it.

The HAL fix I guess would be to only try iso9660/udf on CD-R/CD-RW media,
but it might ultimately be better if we can fix it kernel side.