Fedora Firstboot Enhancements

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Nov 21 02:53:21 UTC 2004

On 11/20/2004 04:12:20 PM, joelbryan wrote:
> Here are the list I believe should be asked in Firstboot.
>
> 1. Printers & Scanners
> 2. Network ISP's for PPPoe (DSL, Broadband)
> 3. Up2Date Software Updates
> 4. Login Preferences (Facebrowser, Network Login)

My opinions

Printers and Scanners should be done the way are done now - kudzu
detects them if they are directly connected, administrative tool front
end to cups from within the menu system. First boot is the first
impression a user has after install - and setting up printers/scanners
is a fragile matter, firstboot should go smooth to install confidence
in the user.

Network ISP's for PPPoE - yes, set that up during firstboot, either
there or in Anaconda.

Software updates should not be done in first boot, once they have
booted, if they have network - the throbbing red ! is indication that
action is required. Doesn't need to be in first boot.

Login preferences - gdm can be easily configured once you've booted.

-=-

What I _do_ want to see added to first boot -

if there isn't a mail alias for root, ask the user who should get
root's mail, create the alias, and run newaliases.