/usr has vanished completely!

Paul F. Johnson paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Sat Nov 27 00:05:42 UTC 2004

Hi,

> A ls of /home showed that it was empty.  So I mounted it. and it was
> there.
>
> But I did not see anything in /boot.  /boot is hda1, but / is hda2.
> The size for /boot is correct, but when I went to /boot it was
> empty.  Looking at / showed that it was mounted as /boot.  I mounted
> /boot ok, and the files are there, but the latest df shows:
>
> [bpm]$ df -h
> /dev/hda1              97M   18M   75M  20% /boot
> none                  244M  184K  244M   1% /dev/shm
> /dev/hda5              26G  6.2G   19G  26% /home
> /dev/hda1              97M   18M   75M  20% /boot
> [bpm]$ cd /
> [bpm]$ df -h .
> -                     9.7G  5.2G  4.0G  57% /
>
> So I'd say something is rotten.

I've altered fstab now so that /dev/hda5 is mounted as /usr and chnaged
LABEL=/ to /dev/hda. Made no difference. It looks like fstab is just not being
loaded.

Anything held on another partition or drive other than /dev/hda1 or /dev/hda2
is being ignored.

Which package do I need to roll-back (I imagine it will be initscripts) so my
machine will fire up properly?

TTFN

Paul