how to have hal be selective

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon Nov 29 09:37:58 UTC 2004

On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 10:41:17PM -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Remember: when polling on optical drives, hald uses O_EXCL and that
> should make open(2) fail with EBUSY if someone else has opened that
> device O_EXCL - and all cd recording software in the Fedora distribution
> should do that otherwise it's a bug.
>
> So, assuming that hald gets EBUSY on attempting to open with O_EXCL, why
> should that interfere with the hardware at all and thus break them?

For USB I don't know. That baffles me still. For IDE I can cause it when there
are two devices on the bus because the HAL probe locks the bus talking to
one device and that stalls the CD write on the other. IDE master/slave
operations cannot occur in parallel so it just needs a slow to respond CD
probe and a fairly fast CD writer to run out of buffer.

Alan