livecd using fedora core 3 with kde3.3.1, gnome 2.8 etc

Steve G linux_4ever at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 30 14:46:18 UTC 2004

>How goes Rookery these days? I remember you generating a lot of
>patches at times to get Fedora to a certain stage.. did you get X
>going?

Yes, I started into X. I added the capability to have multiple repositories so
that I can have a core set of srpms and then X, apache/php, gnome, KDE, extras,
etc. Being able to separate the source packages into multiple directories was a
big help.

X itself isn't bad. I don't remember any significant problems. I have not
ventured into Gnome or KDE yet. I'll probably grab the whole Fedora Repo later
this week and see how things work out.

As for the Rookery, its close to being production ready. I need to write some
code to resolve files to packages so that BuildRequires with a file name works
better (I'll discuss this below), finalize the technique for solving circular
dependencies, and then integrate the Live CD creation.

Because its a bootstrap build, you can't use rpm -qf to resolve files to rpms and
then to srpms. Having file names in the BuildRequires makes it impossible to work
out the order that the build has to proceed in. I can create a database as each
package gets built so that I can lookup Requires & Prereq; but BuildRequires is a
different story. I have only found one package that needed a BuildRequires on a
file. I think it was mutt, but I'm not 100% sure...I think it wanted
/usr/lib/sendmail. ALL of the other packages that have file names in the
BuildRequires can be converted to a package name. That's what I've done in my
personal repo and it works fine...its just a lot of work to maintain. :(

-Steve Grubb