devel packages

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Wed Oct 13 23:18:32 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 23:25 +0200, Matias Féliciano wrote:
> Le mercredi 13 octobre 2004 à 15:35 -0500, Jason Dravet a écrit :
> > I just completed a custom install of FC3T3 and I ended up with 39 devel
> > packages on my PC.  I then went to up2date the system and there are 226
> > updates, 6 of which are devel updates.  One of the updates is rpm-devel
> > (3.3MB).  Some of the others are: glibc-devel (2MB), libgcj-devel (6.7MB)
> > and libstdc++-devel (8.7MB).  I went to command prompt and rpm -e rpm-devel
> > and the package was erased.  There was no warning about a package being
> > dependent on the rpm-devel package so why was it installed?  Do I really
> > need the devel packages?  For those of us with dial up it would nice if FC
> > did not any unnecessary devel packages.

You installed via 'custom'.  Did you have any of the development
sections selected?  This may not occur if you had installed with one of
the preset installations.

> up2date does not install new packages (except if _really_ needed).
> If you see this again, file a bug. But carefully check that you don't
> have the package already installed !
>
> btw, up2date is interactive.
>
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jason

His point was that the devel packages were installed after his custom
install had completed, and perhaps should not have been (up2date was
going to update them, not install them).