Why can only root mount zip, floppy, cd-rom drives?

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 1 13:20:44 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 01:28 -0400, Andrew wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I haven't updated today, well yesterday now, but as of 9/28 updates that
> was working was working. I have not taken the hal updates after
> 0.2.98cvs20040923 since it versions after that don't seem to get a value
> for the the mount point property -- I haven't had time to figure out
> what that deal is, but... If you run hal-device-manager and look at the
> properties for the the CD-ROM does it have a mount point filed in?
>
> If you haven't seen the following thread on the -devel- list, you should
> read it.
>
> [Console user mount patch and FC3]
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-September/msg01244.html
>
> Its probably something else, but hey it was strangely similar to that
> discussion ;-\
>
> Andrew

Thanks for your reply, Andrew.  I suspect you are correct that this is
related to my problem.

My version of hal is:
[gerry at gstpc-test ~]$ rpm -q hal
hal-0.2.98.cvs20040929-1

I have no file/command named hal-device-manager on my system.  There is
a command hal-get-property:

usage : hal-get-property --udi <udi> --key <key>
                        [--hex] [--quiet] [--help] [--verbose] [--
version]

        --udi            Unique Device Id
        --key            Key of the property to get
        --hex            Show integer values in hex (without leading 0x)
        --verbose        Be verbose
        --version        Show version and exit
        --help           Show this information and exit

This program retrieves a property from a device. If the property exist
then it is printed on stdout and this program exits with exit code 0.
On error, the program exits with an exit code different from 0

However, I do not know how to find the udi or key of a device to make
use of this command.

The fstab entries for my CD devices are:
/dev/hdd                /media/cdrw_dvdrw       auto
noauto,console,exec,managed,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,ro 0
0
/dev/hdc                /media/cdrw             auto
noauto,console,exec,managed,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,ro 0
0

which are nothing like I am used to using.  It looks to me like hal is
the feature from hell.  I suspect it is probably related to my networked
printing not functioning in FC3T2 also.

Gerry